Lessons from Belgium
In conversation with Piet Wulleman
Thursday 25th February
18:30 to 20:00
Free of charge to IAPI member employees.
James Dunne from In the Company of Huskies will host a conversation with Piet Wulleman who is in town to judge the IAPI Cannes Young Lions. We have plenty of burning questions, and would invite everyone to chip in with theirs too!
- What is Belgium's secret to success at Cannes Lions?
- Did the industry come together in some systematic way or was it agency by agency?
- Any tips for Irish agencies about how to improve their entries?
- Has the success of Belgian agencies at Cannes translated into more business for the winning agencies?
- The evolution of Duval Guillaume – an independent agency that changed it's business from 100% domestic to 60% international clients – how did that transformation take place?
James Dunne, Planning Director, In the Company of Huskies
Piet Wulleman, Head of Strategy, Duval Guillaume
After studies in consumer psychology, stints at BBDO, Saatchi and DDB, and after having managed and then sold his own agency GERMAINE, Piet has been Head of Strategy at Duval Guillaume in Antwerp, Belgium for the last 4 years.
He’s a frequent guest lecturer at universities and in 2013 published his own book, “De Verlichte Merkdespoot” (“The Enlightened Brand Despot”), in which he argues that brands should focus on their own inner motivation and purpose, rather than blindly follow the consumer. In his day-to-day work, this is what he helps brands to do: look for, define and then proudly communicate their own voice and story.
Since 2012 the agency Duval Guillaume has been awarded 11 Gold Lions, 6 Silver Lions, and 10 Bronze Lions at Cannes. In the same period, at Eurobest, the agency won 7 Golds, 8 Silvers, 11 Bronzes and 4 Grand Prix, for work such as “Push to add drama” (TNT), “Bikers” en “Pokerroom” (Carslberg), “Unlock the 007” (Coke Zero) or “Mindtunes” (Smirnoff).
Less known is that the agency also leads the charts in Belgium’s Effie ranking with 21 Effies, making it the most awarded agency since its foundation in 1996
Please note given the nature of the event and the room size, this event is invitation only. You will have received a personalised EDM invitation, with a link to this page if you've been invited.
Drinks & canapés will be on offer.